Dr. Robert Norris is devoted to creating smiles for a lifetime. His unique background in mechanical engineering provides him with a distinct advantage in mastering the forces, vectors, and movements inherent in performing orthodontic treatment.
- Dr. Norris attended University of Texas at Austin where he received his bachelor’s degree with honors in Biology and a minor in Mechanical Engineering.
- He was salutatorian of this dental school class at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Dental School.
- He completed a General Practice Residency at the V.A. Hospital in Washington, D.C.
- He completed his orthodontics specialty training at Howard University, and graduating as valedictorian with the highest GPA in the Orthodontic Department’s 25-year history.
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Board Certified by the American Board of Orthodontics
- Texas Dental Association
Service To Our Country
Dr. Norris joined the Air Force and served as Chief of Orthodontics at Misawa Air Base, Japan. Here he provided orthodontic care to service members and their families.
In 2007, Dr. Norris began work to fulfill to make his office completely “green.” The office is part of a volunteer renewable energy program with CPS known as Windtricity. In April 2008, he completed a solar energy project at his orthodontic practice with the installation of 80 solar panels, providing 16 kW of electricity.
In 2010 we completed our office expansion making it the first LEED-Certified orthodontic office in the world. LEED is Leadership in Engineering and Environmental Design and is the US Government’s stamp of approval on environmentally responsible office construction.
On A Personal Note
Dr. Norris is a resident of San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife and three children. As a Texas native, he grew up in Kingsville, Texas. He enjoys snow skiing, cycling, swimming, strength training, boating, hiking, and kayaking. Dr. Norris has lectured throughout the United States, Europe, and Asia. His scientific papers have been published in the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Seminars in Orthodontics, as well as Clinical Impressions. To date, Dr. Norris and Simone are enjoying their proudest accomplishments, their three children.
- Norris RA: Are You Dental? Dental School Quarterly. Vol V, Issue 1, 1989.
- Norris RA, Norling BK, McCourt JW: Bond Strengths of Mesh-backed vs. Silica-Coated Orthodontic Brackets. J Dent Res: Abstracts of Papers. Vol. 69 Special Issue, 1990.
- Norris RA, McCourt JW, and Norling BK: Bond Strengths of Thermocycled Mesh-backed vs. Silica-Coated Brackets. J Dent Res: Abstracts of Papers. Vol. 70 Special Issue, 1991.
- Norris RA, Eichmiller F, and Vu BT: Load-deflection Characteristics of Heat-treated Bi-phasic Arch Wires. Submitted to Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthoped.
- Nakano H, Kazuro S, Norris R, et al.: Mechanical Properties of Several Nickel-Titanium Alloy Wires in Three-point Bending Tests. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthoped. Vol. 115 No 4, April 1999.
- Norris R: Bio-Efficient Orthodontic Treatment Using Copper Ni-Ti Wires. Clinical Impressions Japan Edition. Vol. 98 No. 6, 1998.
- Norris R, Brandt D, Crawford C, Fallah M: Restorative and Invisalign: A New Approach. J Esth Rest Dent. Vol. 14 No. 4, 217-24, 2002.
- Norris R: Invisalign Treatment Modified to Accommodate Patient’s Input. Cases & Commentaries in Orthodontic Technology 2002.
- Robbins, W, Norris, R, Chapter 19, The Difficult Deep Bite Dilemma, Interdisciplinary Treatment Planning, Vol II. Quintessence, 2012.
- Norris R, Caesar R: Esthetic Substitution and Autotransplantation of Teeth in the Maxillary Anterior Region. Seminars in Orthodontics, Vol 19, No 1 (March), 2013:pp3-12.
Honors, Awards, & Scholarships
- Ernest and Virginia Cockrell Scholarship: Mechanical Engineering (1985 – 1987)
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Honor Society: Mechanical Engineering (1987 – 1988)
- ADA Award: Volunteer Service in a Foreign Country (Jun 1991)
- Honors Program UTHSCSA (Jul 1991 – May 1992)
- Robert B. Clayton Memorial Award: Excellence in General Dentistry (May 1992)
- McGregor Award: Dental Office Design and Practice Management (May 1992)
- James Vernetti Award: Excellence in Operative Dentistry (May 1992)
- Kenneth D. Rudd Award: Excellence in Clinical Dentistry (May 1992)
- Am. College of Dentists Award: Excellence in Clinical Dentistry (May 1992)
- Omega Kappa Upsilon Dental Honor Society (May 1992 – Present)
- Salutatorian: UTHSC San Antonio Dental School (May 1992)
- Orthodontic Dept. Valedictorian Award: Howard University (May 1995)
- Invisalign State Your Case Contest Winner (May 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006)
- Board Certification, American Board of Orthodontics (March 2003)
- First business in San Antonio, TX to use Solar and Wind Power to achieve 100% renewable energy.